My First Wheeler

Hello friends/future self!
It's mid April, and after having been temp banned from Facebook Messenger yet again, I'm finally taking steps to remove myself from Zuckerberg's claws, so here I am, on a platform I have slightly more control over. I almost didn't post cause its late but I have a bad habit of simply not posting if I don't strike while the iron is hot, so a poor quality post is better than no post.
 
I BOUGHT A SAMURAI! 
He's an adorable little '87 rustbucket with: A solid frame, a strong engine with a Webber carb, an aftermarket transfer case gearset that has a dramatically increased low range gear reduction, welded diffs, and a small lift (axles slung under springs instead of overtop them.)
 Here he is, in as purchased condtion, above is a pic from a quick shakedown adventure, and below is a walkaround all scars and dents visible.
I picked up a couple things immediately upon purchase, a brass shift sheet (which is what the transfer case shifter ball sits on, because after I got it off the trailer, I tried to shift out of 4low and ended up getting stuck, I guess a common problem. Turns out it just needed a little massaging, not a whole new shift sheet) and some wheel spacers/adapters to go from the stock samurai 5x5.5 to 5x4.5 which is what my CRVs run so what my tires are mounted up for them.

I definitely should have paid a bit more attention because when I went to put spacers on, I found out the hub size is very very wrong. On the fronts this means the spacers are alltogether unusable as the locking hubs stick the full way out, but on the rears, its just 4 bolt heads that hold the axle to the hub. Im going to drill out part circles where the bolt heads sit, and then I have some mighty beefy tires for the rear, High Lifter Outlaw II. This works out ok as the previous owner fully welded both diffs and I don't know how comfortable I am with such aggressive tires on the steer axle. I should end up with a staggered setup with standard BFG AT tires up front, and the Outlaw IIs on the rear, hopefully it works!
In the meantime, we had some larger tires kicking around on 5x5.5 wheels that bolted right up and got a bit more offroad-y, here's mid swap to show the difference.
Flexing out on a little side path off the beaten trail. Not bad for what amounts to stock suspension!
Here is a little video of me driving over a tiny little obstacle. 
And another little flex shot. This one is beyond maxxed out and he's tripoding a little. Very nice to have welded front and rear diffs in this situation. Little sketchy in such a tippy vehicle.
So that's that I guess! It's definitely a different driving style compared to what I am normally in, but its very enjoyable in it's own right. I have many plans for upgrades, but its a shockingly good offroader in as purchased condition. What a riot of a little guy. I'll end on this glamour shot, one of my favourites, such a beautiful day in such a beautiful part of the world:
Hope you have a Joyous day <3

Comments